Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Another School Year in the Bag


On May 4th, I completed a year of art school in the graduate program at Otis College of Art & Design. With only one year to go, I feel complete in my educational experience there, and am ready to more on to an education that can create a job for me. This experience has fulfilled my dream of going to art school, and before I drop another 30 grand, I'm ready to explore a more financially sound future. While I still believe that a person can survive, and even make-it as an artist, there is a life-style choice that has to be made and a lot of luck.

While the good-bye has not been finalized, I am at a point of no return mentally. I have lost my faith and trust in the idea that art with be able to sustain me. I suppose I always knew this, but thought I might have a chance at becoming one of those rock star artists. Upon meeting some of those artists types at school, I've decided that that life is not the one I want.

This last school year was good. I had a successful community based project with the Hollywood Sunset Free Clinic, a good LA Times Review, meet some amazing people, got to think and talk art a lot, and enjoyed the sights and sounds of LA.

Now, what do I want to do next?

No comments: