Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Orientation


Just as all schools have, I had my orientation for my program of study last week. The only difference about mine is that it was held in New Hampshire at a camp called Sargent Camp, which is a beautiful place full of nature. As a child I never went away for camp, but this is exactly how I imagined it, and it many of the other people confirm that it was. For 4 days the school kept us held up in cabins with other members of our program and we all attended lectures, workshops and community meetings. It was a wonderful experience that really brought everyone together. After sharing bathrooms, eating areas and classes with people you really get to know them, and it was a great experience.

The entire program of Expressive Therapies includes 104 people of 4 different modalities: Art, Music, Dance and Intermodal which is a mix of all of them. I am in the Art section, which is why I will be an Art Therapist (just in case you forgot). There is a total of 5 men in the program, which I guess makes it women dominated. While most of the people are from New England, I met people from all over like India, South American, Korea, and everywhere in the country including Alaska. There are 37 people in my area of specialty and they're all great. We ended up having to chose 3 other people, a total of 4 people that would be our support system for the rest of the program to help each other out. This was a great idea and I made some friends with the people I picked. We four ladies have been emailing each other over the last week no stop and it's so helpful.

Other than the people that I met, and the fun and interesting classes and workshops we also got some free time. I had a chance to go swimming for the first time in a lake and also canoed and hiked some trails. If I haven't mentioned this before, I LOVE my school. They really emphasize community and self care, which are really essential in this field.

I can say so much about this experience, but I'll stop here and include some photos.


No comments: