Wednesday, June 11, 2008

One Month

It has just about been one month now since we have moved to the Boston area. Since we've been here we've been working on making this house our new home and exploring our neighborhood. I've also attending my first class, which was a weekend long intensive. I'm loving the material and the books that I've had to read for this class (Lifespan Developmental Psychology). And yesterday we officially became residents, as we went down to the RMV (Registry of Motor Vehicles) and applied for our licenses.

So, back to the house. We each have a studio/office space that has been very helpful for us both. It's a great feeling to be so close, but also being able to working on our own projects. I also have an area in the living room where I can get some reading done, if I'm not feeling the office space. Oh, and the kitchen, the coziest kitchen where we have been doing lots of good and healthy cooking. It turns out that all of that furniture that we bought the month before leaving actually fit. Many times when we come home from an exploration about town and we find ourselves saying, " Do we actually live here?" We both feel very lucky to have such a nice home.

Recently on one of our outings around we ended up in the heart of Cambridge down by Central Square. We found a little bar called The Field, which oddly enough is the name of a restraurant/bar in Fort Lauderdale that we really liked, but no relation. This neighborhood is a bit different than ours in that ours is a bit more suburban, but not in an isolating way. While there are a lot of families around, we are just a couple of blocks down from Arlington Center, where there are shops and restraurants. It's a much quieter environment being a little further from the center of things, which mostly Cambridge is. Although, we're only 1 mile North, so it's very easy to get to.

There are lots of great neighborhood events here going on all the time. There was the Greek Festival that we attended a last week, and the Veterans Day parade a few weeks back. And I'm sure we've both mentioned Spy Pond, where we had a great little picnic (thanks for the cooler dad). I'm looking forward to the forth of July, as I hear Boston has a great show down by the Charles River.

As summer comes rolling in I am reminded of Florida. Yesterday it was 94 degrees here and I longed for some snow, but I'm sure I'll be getting plenty of that soon. So for now I'm soaking up the heat and enjoying a season I know very well.

No comments: