Thursday, June 12, 2008

First Day of Class

This last weekend I had my first class. While I was a little nervous, since this was my first graduate class, I quickly felt reassured as class went on. This class is a weekend intensive, which is broken up over two weekends: one in June and one in July. The class is called Lifespan Developmental Psychology. This is actually one of the classes that I had to take at the undergraduate level to get into the program, but this class is much more in depth. I'm actually surprised at how much I'm enjoying it.

The books in the class are also really good too. Probably the best textbook I ever had to read: "Lives Across Cultures." And I'm just breaking into "Women's Way of Knowing." The class is focused on two areas of development that offend get over looked: cross culture development and women in general.

Today I received my first paper back in the mail. The topic was on Ecological Systems, and I received a B+, which I was happy about, but was really wanting that "A". My teacher has a great policy: we can rewrite any paper in the class to get a better grade. The emphasis is really on learning the material and not on test taking. Actually, we don't have any tests for this class. What a relief!

While the material is challenging, I welcome all of the debates and information presented. There are just so many smart people here. It's really great to be at such a good school.

3 comments:

see-if-i-care said...

hey jamie-james, thanks for blogging about your new home. i am totally amped to keep up on your life here. adding you to my delicious now!

Linda Lulu said...

Great blog I am thrill to be able to check it out to see how things are going. I am sending it to your cousins so they can see what is going on with you too. It all sounds just great hope you continue enjoying all of your classes.
Aunt Linda

sightofdeath said...

hey james, well done! i would be totally nerved out my first day too in my first class but youre such a trooper. keep updating your blog girl! i need to get one too!