Sunday, March 7, 2010

My First Art Review




On February 26th, the art exhibit that my program and cohort put together was reviewed by the LA Times. The review looked at the role of community art projects and discussed how sometimes the projects work, and sometimes they fall short.
Here's what they had to say about my artwork in the exhibition:

"Jamie Crooke's partnership with the Hollywood Sunset Free Clinic provides one possible answer. Crooke walked the streets around the clinic pushing a cart selling health-related items–bandages, apples, wheat grass seed, Emergen-C packets – in exchange for a dollar or a bit of conversation. In addition to examining the cart itself, gallery visitors can watch a video and flip through a photo book documenting the project. The cart also features a price list including the above mentioned items as well as the cost of one year of employer-provided health insurance (about $13,000) and the annual compensation of United Health Group's CEO (more than $9 million). With this sly, humorous gesture, the piece makes its critical point about inequities in healthcare spending, whether one sees it on the street or in the gallery."

While I am not sure what the future holds for me with this profession and type of art making, one thing is certain: I will also have my LA Times review when I was 27 years old :)

You can read the whole review here:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/culturemonster/2010/02/art-review-love-in-a-cemetery-at-the-18th-street-art-center.html#

No comments: