Friday, November 14, 2008

Therapist, I am not.

While it's been a while since I've written here, it has mostly been because I have been in a bit of a mental debate. I have decided to take next semester off from school to reconsider whether I want to be a therapist or not. While I feel like I had consider this before, there is nothing like the experience to show one the opposite.

Over the last 2 months I have been working at Tewksbury State hospital, which I was really excited about, until I started. And it was probably after I learned of the severity of the patients problems that I started to realize that I do not want to be trying to heal these people. While I do want to make the world a better place, I am not sure I want to do it this way. I am a very sensitive and emotional person and doing this work leaves me drained and depressed.

So my plan is to get a job after I return from Florida and to work and make art. I'll be staying in Boston because there are still a lot more opportunities up here than in Florida. In addition, this will give me the option to continue the program if I realize that it is where I want to be. I've also been looking at another program at my school called "Community Arts" which is a masters in Education. It's a shorter program and would redirect my work back to the type of work that I had been doing. I think education is a better place for me.

I'll keep you updated on the process. Right now I'm feeling really good about this decision, and everyone at school has been really supportive too. It was difficult at first to not feel like I had failed, but the truth is that I'm glad I tried it and would have never really known otherwise.

2 comments:

Robin MacKinnon said...

Jaime, I will be praying for you as you seek out your next steps. One of the most freeing lessons I have learned is that it is OK to change your mind and your path! That is the beauty of life - we don't have to carve out each decision in stone and stick with it.... Afterall life is a series of experiences..... You have had an incredible experience and now you know more about yourself! I always grieve for people who trap themselves into a life they really don't enjoy or even like because they feel they have to!
I for one am proud of you! (as I am sure everyone else is as well) and I think it is a wise decision to stay in Boston! It seems like you really like it there!
Robin

see-if-i-care said...

jamie-chan, wow, this is major! but your friend mackinnon is right, you've got to try and reassess every step of the way. and community arts sounds awesome! i was looking at a webpage full of residencies and there is a 1-2 year residency at that studio mudflats, you should totally check it out, it's a great way to get full on into making work. i'm sure there are tons of other residencies in boston too, if you wanted one that wasn't focused on clay. anyway, i can't wait to see you! we have to plan our little reunion soon!
love you, nicole